Surgical suction and wound drainage
Sternum guard® is a single use, sterile surgical drape with modified cellulose designed specifically to reduce the risk of surgical site infection (SSI).
It is made of 4 main parts:
1. This part is in contact with the retractors and the sternum edge. It is made of :
- Carboxymethylated cellulose (CMC) spunlace which makes direct contact with the sternum edges. It contributes to blood absorption, to decreasing of pH environment, and to haemostatic action through a physical effect (compression);
- Hydrophilic spunbond (swabs) allowing blood absorption, comfort and protection from metal reinforcement (see below);
- Aluminium blade for an optimal contact with the sternal edges.
2. This part contributes to absorption. It is made of the same components as part 1 except CMC. It also includes on its external part dry-laid and polyethylene layer.
3. This part contributes to fixation of drape all together. It incorporates hook and loop Velcro parts to attach 2 Sternum Guard drapes (on each sternum edge) all together.
4. A hydrophobic part made of dry-laid and Polyethylene, to complete the impervious barrier.
40.90.10: Sternum guard Medium - Dimensions: 35cm x 35cm
40.90.11: Sternum guard Small - Dimensions: 25cm x 25cm
40.90.12: Sternum guard Large - Dimensions: 48cm x 50cm